Narrow The Gap! would like to give a great "Thank You!" to the organizational representatives and interested citizens who came to the rollout of our preliminary edition of the West Louisville Directory! For your viewing, we have a 9 minute video covering our rollout on April 13th.
We've got a great document, but it will be at its best when the official First Edition rolls out in October! Get involved! If your West Louisville business information needs inclusion or adjustment, or if you would like advertisements in our print or web editions, please email the following:
Problem: inner city Louisville grocery stores are closing one after another, low neighborhood income, lack of large square footage and problems of loss prevention makes it difficult for national chains to keep grocery stores profitable.
Solution: Draw from the tradition of the “mom and pop” grocery and five-and-dime general store popularized by Family Dollar and Dollar General and build small square-footage grocery stores with modern amenities such as BOPIS (buy online pickup in store) and a heavy emphasis on local sourcing, and/or food cooperatives that source from local vendors. Build a network that can develop economies of scale.
Listed below are the ten solutions, per community input, suggested for concerned citizens to contribute time and resources:
1. Job Training Programs. Resume Writing/ Career Development Workshops.
2. Implement a personal development program for male youth that focuses on morals, positive behaviors, and progressive lifestyle choices.
3. Neighborhood Cleanup, Adopt a Block (Westend Street Patrol) Assess needs via surveys.
4. Workshops/Forums focused on Conflict Resolution – Hotline for parents to call.
5. Implement a Community Empowerment Initiative (Promotes community businesses, entrepreneurship, nonprofit development, local commerce, and establishes area culturally inclusive educational programs and schools).
6. Community Advocacy Board/Liaison to address property/rental issues (Slumlords, Neglected Properties, and Rental Assistance.)
7. Implement community programs that develops and promotes minority leadership within city government.
8. Community Cease fire between rival neighborhoods.
9. Motivational Speaker Series & Hip Hop “Stop The Violence” Campaign.
10. Open up metro corrections, JCYC, and community barbershops for mentoring and reentry programs.